Thursday, September 23

On Tuesday, we celebrated my birthday!

Waiting for a cheeseburger...so patiently...

We both had to teach, and I didn’t feel like planning a whole thing (plus, there’s not much going on anyway), so we had a pretty relaxing day that mostly involved eating my favorite things and answering sweet birthday wishes from friends & family.

I wanted to have sushi for lunch, but my two top choices were either not delivering for lunch or else not delivering on Tuesdays at all so, instead of having mediocre-looking or super-expensive sushi, I decided to have papaya salad, which is one of my favorite things to eat anyway.

Roman went down to the cart on our street, and ordered us a papaya salad, sticky rice, and a piece of grilled chicken. It came with some raw cabbage and green herbs.

And the green herbs came with a cute little caterpillar!


Man, I love papaya salad.

In the afternoon, we taught our classes, and Roman ordered my birthday cake slices! I did a lot of research into a lot of bakeries for Second Cake Day, and finally decided on the lovely-looking cakes from a place in Chinatown called Wallflowers Café:

We ordered a slice of red velvet and a slice of NY cheesecake. More on that later...

After I finished my classes, we went out and got massages, and then walked to a burger place in Soi 11, where we sat on an outside patio with groovy red lighting and had delicious cheeseburgers and fries.


Back at home, I opened presents from Roman and my mom, and laid it all out on my bed to admire it!


Roman got me many new pairs of underwear, ramekins (my favorite!), oven mits, and a teapot!!! And my mom got me a pretty flowered dress, a silver teapot charm, our favorite caramels, and new masks--and she and Scott picked out some new fiction for us.

Posing with my new teapot

I felt very spoiled.

And we ate cake!


It was pretty good cake. And it was a pretty nice, chill day.

AND, here are a few more things we ate this week...crispy pork with wing beans and ginkgo nuts:

Mushrooms with ginkgo nuts and crispy pork:

Bao buns with braised pork (which we had delivered, and ate with kim chi):

Chicken soup and shu mai at Pier 21:

And noodles with wontons and red pork from an outdoor cart pod near the American Embassy:


And that's all I have to report for now!

Comments

{font-size: 150%; font-weight: bold;} Older Posts